The Do’s and Don’ts of High Level Cleaning
High level cleaning covers everything that is above shoulder height – so anything you have to reach up for.
At SYR our solutions all involve the operative keeping both feet safely on the ground. We can provide means to clean up to 20ft (just over 6 metres). Anything above this will need scaffolding or a cherry picker.
Tools and equipment you will require depend on whether you are looking at wet or dry wall cleaning, dusting, cleaning windows, piping and so on. However there are some procedures which always apply:
- Assess the cleaning requirements. Will you be dusting? Are you cleaning a ledge or flat surface? Will you need to angle the pole? You need to know what you are cleaning before you know what equipment you will need.
- The health and safety of the cleaning operative must come first. Dust in high areas is likely to have been there for some time and there may be large items of debris which will be dislodged. PPE should be used, such as goggles and a mask.
- Consider the health and safety of others. Can the area be securely cordoned off or will the task have to be done out of hours?
- Ensure the area is clear of any hazards. Be aware of overhead cables, pipework and loose fixtures and fittings.
- Section the area off and inform people of the work you will be carrying out. Then collect the appropriate tools, ensuring they are all in working order.
- If you are carrying out high level cleaning in a kitchen area you will need to ensure that the gas/cooker is off and any electric sockets are covered. Make sure you are standing securely on a slip-free surface; kitchen floors can be greasy.
- When cleaning in a bathroom, remember that standing in a bath is a no-no. You will need to stand outside the bath and be able to clean across without over-stretching.
- When using extension handles, raise the handle from the hip, keeping the end of the handle in line with your leg.
- Don’t try to dust around fire sensors as dusting may activate them.
- Always clean the tools after use. Vacuum or launder sleeves, and rinse cobweb brushes under a tap.
SYR’s FOCUS team are experts in high level cleaning and will be happy to attend your site and demonstrate products in situ. Training and support literature is provided if required. Contact SYR FOCUS today: